Friday 28 March 2014

Unsung Heroes 3 : Jim White and the best run of albums since........

I have already written about my visit to Rhino Records in Timaru and how how that set me off chasing down music by four different artists and more connections.  Today I found out that one of the CDs that I bought that day has just been released on Vinyl for the first time.  So I have not left even the house and I am $40 poorer - but richer in so many ways :-).

Therefore whom better to write about today than Jim White as I listen again to this magnificent album.

It was such an interesting title and cover that there was no way I was not going to buy it once it had been recommended. It also came with the short story of the same name that makes the booklet almost impossible to slide in and out.

The album was released on David Byrne of Talking Heads fame's Luaka Bop label which until then had been focused on World Music.  Apparently Jim White had a walk on part in the Talking Heads Movie True Stories.  The album could almost have been an alternative soundtrack to that movie.

It does not have a bad song on it, presents an interesting aural landscape and intriguing song titles and lyrics. From Still Waters, A Perfect Day to Chase Tornados, Angel-Land and When Jesus Gets a Brand New Name.   Also in there is the very Talking Headsish Heaven of my Heart.  That song is slightly incongruous as it is a bouncy happy love song - but have you ever heard lyrics like....

"Got a funny-bone, laugh like a mule, always did pretty good in school
But still I cannot decipher her arithmetic.
'Cause I'd walk to the moon, I'd lick a spittoon,
I'd wear wooly underwear in a sauna,
Just to show her how much I want to be her lovable lunatic".


"Yes she's a brainy girl, that is good. 

She's smarter than me but then so is wood,
But that don't mean I should submit to her authority
I want to make her sing, 
But she won't do a doggone thing, and don'tcha know
When she don't it makes her even more adorable"

I immediately searched out the hard to find Gimme 5 EP but then had to wait a while for the follow up.  What became apparent with the release of No Such Place was that this was another outstanding selection of songs and the Song Titles are still intriguing. "The Wound that Never Heals" "Handcuffed to a Fence in Mississippi" "God was drunk when he made me" "Corvair" and "10 miles to go on a nine mile road".  Again some interesting lyrics throughout

"You know freedom's just a stupid superstition, 'cause life's a highway that you travel blind. It's true that having fun's a terminal addiction. What good is happiness, when it's just a state of mind?" 


"I have a buddy philip who is a gas station attendent, strangers call his name a 1000s of tmes a day, they don't know him they're just asking phillip for a fill up. funny how life plays tricks on us that way"



"Nothing's prettier than a pretty girl digging a heart shaped hole in the ground"


This album was followed up with perhaps his finest statement to date - with "Drill a hole in that substrate and tell me what you see" -Again interesting lyrics and songs and this time he teamed up with Aimee Mann, Joe Henry and Mary Gauthier (a few future blog topics there) amongst others. Songs to check out include "Static on the Radio", "If Jesus Drove a Motor home", "Combing my hair in a Brand New Style" and "Bluebird".  They all deserve a wider audience.   I was also lucky enough to pick a copy of the Japanese release with a few extra tracks.


A few years passed before his next official release in which time he made a movie "Searching for the wrong eyed Jesus" , made a collaboration album with Johnny Dowd and produced Mama Lucky.  When it came Transnormal Skiperoo was a generally happier affair but still had the usual offbeat songs.



To my ears after releasing that album Jim had completed one of the finest runs of albums since the Stones great run from 68-72.

I was a bit  disappointed when, just after shifting to Singapore Jim toured NZ.  I did persuade many friends to go to see him. Both sons Chris and Sam got to see him and Sam even scored his denim jacket as Jim has a practice of auctioning some of his clothing at his shows to raise money for local charities (Which reminded me in a way of a Lester Bangs Story about Iggy Pop in Creem Magazine in about 1976 - maybe a later blog!).

He has since released one more solid album - but for whatever reason it did not connect with me the same way.  Apparently a new one is coming soon.  I know that it will still be worth checking out.

Jim was my first real introduction to what some call "Gothic Americana" - that loosely includes artists like 'The Handsome Family" and Johnny Dowd.

However if there was to be a King of Gothic Americana
then for me it would have to be Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment