Friday 5 September 2014

New Orleans 6 : Bob Dylan Oh Mercy

I won this album when it was first released in 1989.  I was cooking Sunday dinner and Mike Hosking was on the radio and the album Oh Mercy was up for grabs.  All I had to do was answer the question; What motorcycle gang is Bob Dylan most associated with?

In 1989, like a lot of people, I had pretty much given up hope on Dylan producing another good album.  If I had not won the album I would not have bought it.

But I am glad I won it.  It was recorded in New Orleans and it has a certain funky feel. It also seems to have marked the start of that lazy swagger that has been a feature of Dylan's later work.


Most importantly it is a collection of excellent songs, Political World, Everything is Broken (I love this version by the great RL Burnside)  and What Was it You Wanted are Dylan at the top of his game.  He clearly needed New Orleans to regain his mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment