Friday 17 April 2015

Junk Shop and Sale Bin Finds : Nat King Cole : Unforgetable

Some of my earliest musical memories are of the family sitting around the table on a Sunday having the Sunday Roast.  We invariably had the radio tuned to 2ZB and Bas Tubert's Sunday Request  show.  Looking back it was interesting how uninteresting that music show was.  How many songs were played every week at the same time.  There was Max Bygraves, Bing Crosby, Jim Reeves - all those great artists that end up in the junk shop bins that I wrote about here.


Another regular was Nat King Cole - although truth be told I can only remember two songs of his that were played - Ramblin' Rose - every fucking week!!  and Mona Lisa.  Anyway I have not seen as many Nat King Cole Records as the other suspects and I have managed to pick two in  excellent condition.  My favourite is this Mono recording of Unforgettable from 1954 (yep 60 years old) in excellent condition.  It plays almost perfectly and has some of those songs that are now quite literally unforgettable. Too Young (before it was squawked by Donny Osmond), Mona Lisa, For Sentimental Reasons and Unforgettable

No comments:

Post a Comment