Wednesday 3 August 2016

Favourites - Dimmer You've Got to Hear the Music

Word is out that Shayne Carter has a new record set for release soon.  That is good news for Kiwi music fans as Carter has been releasing interesting music approaching 40 years now from his start while still at school in Bored Games through Straightjacket Fits and The Doublehappys and Dimmer.  

Apparently the new album is to be piano based. That will be interesting.

I have an original pressing of the original Bored Games EP which until it was re-released a few years ago was selling for more than a $100.  That is a problem with record collecting - a re-release can quickly reduce the value of some records.

Dimmer was a bit of a departure from the guitar driven "Dunedin" or "Flying Nun"  sound of Carter's previous work,  It is more electronic and dance driven.

Fans will always argue over what release is best but You've Got to Hear the Music is my favourite. The single Getting What You Give with its interesting and arty video was my introduction to this phase of Carter's career and the reason I went out and bought the CD.    I knew it was good and I would like it from the moment I heard the opening beats of Come Here.    Other highlights include
Backwards is Backwards and Lucky One.

Bring on the new album

No comments:

Post a Comment