Tuesday 3 March 2015

Song of the Day 46 : And a weird and unexpected connection : The Cat Was A Junkie and Dan Penn

Way back when I was 12 or 13 I used to spend my pocket money on 45s.  At the time my musical taste was developing but dominated by Glam Rock.  However I would also buy some 45s that ran completely against what people my age were buying and songs that somehow struck a chord with me.

The Cat was A Junkie by Ronnie Milsap was one of those - I know now that it was not a typical Milsap song.  I really did not even know who he was and it was probably a combination of a new artist finding his feet and a producer driving a scound.

However my reading about Muscle Shoals and some of its players has revealed an interesting connection.  The single and its flip side were among a handful of songs that Milsap recorded with Dan Penn and that Dan even wrote the flip side  (Blue Skies of Montana).

It seems the single was only released in New Zealand and I have it buried somewhere in our lock up.

I have no other Ronnie Milsap in my collection but am now on the lookout for that album he recorded with Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment