Saturday 25 October 2014

Damn Right I've Got The Blues : The US Blues Purchases

One of the benefits and trials of travelling for me is always buying and transporting new music purchases.  The benefits are of course you can buy records and CDs not readily available in New Zealand (or Fiji).

The trials are two fold.  What NOT to buy as we juggle those weight limits and try and avoid excess baggage and how to keep the vinyl out of the sun. This trip was no exception with about 30 new slabs of vinyl and a selection of CDs as well.

My right arm is now some 2 inches longer.

I did manage to get good selection of blues while I was in Memphis and Clarksdale and have been enjoying them very much since my return.

Around Clarksdale T Model Ford was spoken about with a degree of awe.  A character it seems, did not pick up the guitar until after his fifth wife left him and he was about 60.  Apparently he fathered some 50 children - one of whom was the  infamous Shelby Woman in Steve Kolbus' song.



I managed to find two T Model Ford CDs She Ain't None of Your'n and Jack Daniel Time and enjoy both of them especially as the latter was recorded at Reds.

Unable to track down any vinyl of T Model Ford I asked who else they would recommend from around town and I was recommended Pushin' my Luck by Robert Belfour.  Belfour regularly toured with both T Model Ford and RL Burnside.

Check out these versions of Pushing My Luck and You Got Me Crying.






RL Burnside : First Recordings.  I have a couple of his CDs from a few years ago.  I even saw his grandson play in Chicago a few years ago.

RL Burnside was a Clarksdale regular who passed away about 10 years ago.  I was pleased when I managed to find a record with early acoustic songs on it.

It has that signature driving rhythm that he is known for and hints at what was to come.


I spent a wee while scouring record stores looking for second hand gems from the 50s 60s and 70s but sadly came across no rare Freddy, Albert or BB King recordings available.  I settled on a great CD with Howlin' Wolf's first two records.  Simply Outstanding.

I also bought Steve Kolbus Skippin and Hoppin as I had to have the song about his girlfriend faking her own death.

The real find however was when I met this dapper gentleman sitting in a record store in Mempis selling his CDs.  I could not resist and have played it regularly.  The Self Proclaimed King of Beale St delivers.






No comments:

Post a Comment