Tuesday 2 December 2014

Favourites : Buddy and Julie Miller : Written in Chalk

I have been listening to Buddy Miller and his music since buying his  album Cruel Moon on the recommendation from a guy that ran, Allen's a small record store at the top of Plimmers Steps (Taking me back to those trips into Chelsea Records 40 years ago!).

Shortly after that I saw a short set by him when he was playing guitar in Emmylou Harris's band and also opening with a short 30 minute set.  I loved Emmylou that night but that short set from Buddy was the highlight for me.

It was while playing for Emmylou that Buddy started to get recognition after years of banging around Nashville.  He has since gone on to produce Robert Plant, Richard Thompson and Solomon Burke.  Its pretty cool when your record collection starts to talk to itself!

Written in Chalk in the second proper Buddy and Julie Miller album,  The first one did not grab me - maybe my expectations were too high. When it was released I had solo albums by both of them which frequently had jointly written and sung songs on them that were frequently the highlights.

When this album came out it got great reviews but I was still weary.  I did not have to be.  I think this is a modern country masterpiece.  From the opening two tracks Ellis County and Gasoline and Matches,  the almost title track Chalk and Everytime We Say Goodbye


No comments:

Post a Comment