Monday 11 May 2015

Journey Through The Past : Elvis Presley Sun Sessions

I am not a big Elvis Fan.  To me he was a star who burnt brightly and then became dull and even a parody of himself.  I have explored his music a few times, have a few greatest hits and each time I come to  the same conclusion.  That little of what he recorded after returning from the Army was either innovative or particularly interesting.  There were exceptions of course but that is how he engaged with me.

However the album I never tire of, and which captures that burst of innovation and a moment in music history, is this one The Sun Sessions.

Released in 1976 it supposedly collected all the tracks Elvis recorded at Sun together (but was outdone later by the Sunrise Collection  which added a few extra takes and some contemporary live recordings from the Louisiana Hayride.  Whether it be the stuttering That's Alright Mama, Baby Let's Play House, I'm Left You're Right, She's Gone or Mystery Train.

I really enjoyed going to Sun Studios when I was in Memphis, apparently it is unchanged from  when these were recorded in 1955.  Got the spine tingles and got the real sense of history.

That is what you get when you listen to these songs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment