Thursday 5 November 2015

Favourites : Jeff Klein - Everybody Loves A Winner

Everybody Love's A Winner is possibly the most depressing album I have.  And I love it!!

I have already written about how depressing songs can draw me in and improve my mood

Recently I was playing it on one Saturday at work and someone came into my office and expressed disbelief that I could be listening to anything so downbeat.

While everyone may love a winner there is not a winner in sight in the first 5 songs. Each with its own aching melody and simple arrangement.

It starts with Everything's Alright, when clearly it's not.  Have you ever heard a sadder and more desperate song and start to an album than.


This old house is burning down 

In a blaze of gasoline 
You've been writing out you suicide notes 

Since you were 13
And you say that you're sold
Through the feelings that you have
And you're sort of feeling nothing
Well that's all I ever had

Then it's straight into his "hit" California and it does not get any better.  Can he escape his problems by transferring them to you and then moving on?

there’s a buzz hanging over my head
from my broken neon halo
like a movie that I slept through
I just don’t get the point

but if I get to california
before I lose my mind
I’ll lay my burden on you
for one last time

If there is a connection between the songs other than their sadness it may just well be what he has done to Emily which there seems to be no coming back from in  I'm Sorry Sweet Emily -

All of the lovebirds are quiet tonight 
They must have all fallen asleep 
But i've got a hunger as big as my eyes 
and a promise I'll never keep


I know i shouldnt be out here
'cause no one loves you more than me
But I don't think I'm coming home tonight
I'm sorry, Sweet Emily



All of your friends are like angels
The role models I'll never be
With habits they kick like booze and cigarettes
This things much bigger than me



I know i shouldn't be out here
'cause no one loves you more than me
But I don't think I'm coming home tonight
I'm sorry, Sweet Emily


Half of me begs for forgiveness
And half of me just wants to die
But I cant resist the swaying of their hips
As they shine under barlit skies


I know i shouldnt be out here
'cause no one loves you more than me
But I don't think I'm coming home tonight
I'm sorry, Sweet Emily
I'm sorry, Sweet Emily

While this may all be too much for some,  it is for Jan, Klein is still around despite all his woes and this short track from 2010 indicates it may not have got any better as he "just wants his fucking life back:


No comments:

Post a Comment