Monday 30 November 2015

Favourites : Dinosaur Jr : I Bet on Sky

I really enjoy music where strong melody is hidden in noise.  There are lots of examples of this from Tom Waits, Husker Du and many of the 1990s Grunge Bands.

One of those bands that does this the best in my opinion is Dinosaur Jr.  I came to the band backwards.  When they were first around I was a father with a young family - a time in life when my search for new music was at its lowest ebb. So the whole grunge thing pretty much passed me by.

Recently I was encouraged to check out J Mascis's solo work and from there I started to work back through the Dinosaur's back catalogue. I now have half a dozen of their albums from their latest two and some of their earlier "classics".

I Bet on Sky is their latest album and was my introduction to them.  I love the noise on this album!

One of the first things with any Dinosaur album is always its cover. They always have a phantasmagorical element to them - slightly nightmarish versions of Dr Seuss characters!  Then when the needle hits the record you are blasted from the first chord.  The album plays well as a whole but the tracks I enjoy the tracks Watch the CornersSee it on Your Side and Don't Pretend You Didn't Know.

It is said all the time about J Mascic and it is now a bit of a cliche but anyone who likes Neil Young with Crazy Horse would do well to check out this and other albums by them.



No comments:

Post a Comment