Sunday 12 April 2020

Damn Right I've Got the Blues : Kingfish

One of the highlights of my trip through the lower US in 2014 was the three days we spent in and around Clarksdale Mississippi.  I wrote about that earlier here. 

Something about that area keeps producing great blues music and the latest is Christone "Kingfish" Ingram.   He is a 21 year old blues prodigy whose grandmother swears he has so much soul that he must have "Been Here Before" .

I was introduced to him by a friend one night when we were surfing youtube for interesting new music.  I will admit that I was initially that taken with what I heard but I rechecked him again a week or two later and started to appreciate what he was doing

His kind of self titled debut Kingfish came out last year to almost universal rave reviews.  It reminds me a lot of Keb'Mos debut but with a little (lot) more grit.


Rather than just post songs from the album itself I thought I would post some of the better Youtube clips.  Here he is doing Screamin' Jay Hawkins' - I put a spell on you and Catfish Blues/Hey Joe

In the end you end up that you can just Believe These Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment