Friday 17 April 2020

Old favourites - Lambchop - What another man spills

Sometimes genre classification can be confusing.  Because Lambchop, a large ensemble centering around Kurt Wagner come from Nashville and feature steel guitar they were immediately dubbed Alt Country.  However they regularly also had brass driving the music, in a laid back sot of way.    In that they must be one of the most alternative of alt country bands. 

I first heard them on compilation albums like Songs of the New West that I wrote about here.  And then I started with this album - What Another Man Spills.

This is an album that I don't play that often but when I do I always ask myself why not.  It has a great coherent feel even though it has such a wide style of music on it - but all given a nice gentle "lambchop feel".

Whether covering some unheralded soul classics like Curtis Mayfield's Give Me Your Love or Frederick Night's I've Been Lonely for So Long.  Even the closer, the instantly recognisable Theme From The Neil Miller Show (I have no idea what that show was but somehow knew the music immediately). 

While the covers are great there are also some classic originals as well like The Saturday Option, Shucks and The Magnificent Obsession.

They hit even more critical success with their follow up Nixon but thus is the album I return to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment