Friday 21 March 2014

Connections 1 : sounds of the new west

In the connections theme of Some New Town I will be covering how certain themes have led me to discover new music and how different music is linked, at least in my head.  There is an almost obsessive/compulsive element to this part of my record colecting and collection as I search out music related to artists, producers, band side projects, band members, books, recording studios.  You get the picture.

It's kind of like the Amazon recommended for you approach, "you liked that, try this".
So for the first of my Connections Series : I am going to talk about this album.


http://www.discogs.com/Various-Sounds-Of-The-New-West/release/2005416
This "free" cd turned out to be one of the most expensive records I ever bought. It came attached to a relatively early copy of Uncut Magazine. It came at a time when Jan and I were coming up for air after mortgages and the first ten years of parenthood.  It came at a time when I was starting to believe that there was not a lot of good new music out there.

And then I heard this. Uncut's introduction to what they called at the time "Alternative Country".  Twenty songs by 19 Artists (the magnificent Emmylou Harris got 2) and every one a winner. Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris

Suddenly I realised there were new (and old) artists out there creating challenging and vibrant music. My music buying shackles were broken and off I went exploring new music with a hunger that has continued almost unabated for the following 16 years.

Uncut went on to produce 3 more of these over the following four years. Two of them were probably even better but this is the one that caused the damage.  I ended up with one, and in many instances many more, albums by 15 of the artists on the original album. 
More-Sounds-Of-The-New-West
The-Best-Of-Americana-2001/release/980242
Americana-2004



These albums introduced met to artists such as:
The Pernice Brothers. http://www.pernicebrothers.com/
Lou Ford
The Flying Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons
Willard Grant Conspiracy
Lambchop http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambchop_(band)
Vic Chessnut
Josh Rouse http://www.joshrouse.com/
Calexico
Nadine http://www.allmusic.com/artist/nadine-mn0000376415

Over time I will write about many of these artists, recommending albums I think capture their essence or are just too good to continue to be ignored.

But for now I am just thinking about picking out the CD again and putting it on.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment