Saturday 12 December 2015

Favourites : Randall Bramblett - No More Mr Lucky

I have been playing this album a lot recently, probably after not having listened to it for over a year.  As they say on radio stations - it has been on high rotate!

I started the binge after seeing he had recorded a new album.  I ordered it but the vagaries of Fiji Post mean that I had it delivered to Wellington for me to pick up at Christmas.

Unlike most music in my collection I have NO IDEA when and where I bought No More Mr Lucky. Pretty sure the following would have combined to have made me pick it up;
  • The cover - the red suit, the fedora, the bag and no idea who the person is - presumably Randall
  • It was cheap
  • It was on the New West label (at the time it was released I had most of the albums recorded on what was then a new the label)

Bloody pleased I took the punt as this is a really great album and it was certainly good enough for me to start collecting his albums (I now have five).

At the time I know I knew nothing who Randall Bramblett was.  Wikipedia was not quite as thorough as it is now and so did not really extend down to long suffering and under-rated musicians like it does now.  Now I know he has been playing in bands and on records since the early 70s.  I also know that this was his sophomore effort of a second go at a solo carteer  was recorded 25 years after his initial go.  

A few years after I had the album I saw Bonnie Rait and she opened with Bramblett's God is in the Water - a song that really let's you hear what he all about in one song.

I really do not think there is a bad song on this album.  Many like Get in Get Out and Peace in Here have a quiet and insistent groove that only the best songwriters can get across.  Others like Lost Enough and Sunflower are magical.



No comments:

Post a Comment