Monday 7 December 2015

Journey Through The Past : Mott the Hoople - Mott

Like many Bowie fans I came across Mott The Hoople through their "cover" of All the Young Dudes. Also like many Bowie fans I then picked up a few of their albums and have their great live album, and the twin pack of Mott and The Hoople.

Many early fans maintain it was all down hill from Bowie's involvement but that really does a disservice to the band as well.  I certainly think that Mott is their crowning achievement.   Kind of Glam meets Dylan in London.

It kicks off with the classic All The Way From Memphis, and includes the two other self reverential songs  in Hymn for The Dudes and Ballad of Mott The Hoople. 

The album rocks hardest on the re-working of their earlier song Violence and Drivin' Sister and then ends with the terrific I Wish I was Your Mother.

A forgotten classic waiting and needing to be rediscovered and reassessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment