Thursday 10 December 2015

Recent Additions : John Moreland : High on Tulsa Heat

I can not remember how I came across and decided to buy High on Tulsa Heat across the name John Moreland and the album.  That is even though it only arrived this week.

I think it must have been an Amazon recommendation via a connection from rating Jason Isbell.

Anyway I am glad I did find out about it and even though I am only on my second play through I know that I will be playing this often.

I am sure those who like the quieter observation side of Springsteen, Isbell and the like will enjoy this.

It really only takes one listen to realise he is a gifted lyricist. Great and memorable single lines, couplets and verses keep jumping out at you that are a mix of succinct and wry personal observation. However you would have to like music on the depressing side to really get what I am saying.  This is not a happy listen......

"you worried that you're happier at war than at peace or are you losing sleep tonight like I am?" From Losing Sleep Tonight

"I guess I got a taste of poison, I've given on up on ever being well, and I keep mining the horizon, digging for lies I'm yet to tell" Cherokee

or this

"And the things that made you so safe are only on a screen these days, And there's a loser in every fight, your favourite version of the past, can be found in a photograph of American Flags in black and white" American Flags in Black and White

"We were high on Tulsa heat, And lost in lonesome sound, Now we're back on broken ground" High on Tulsa Heat

No comments:

Post a Comment