Saturday 2 August 2014

Journey Through The Past 40 : R.E.M : New Adventures in Hifi

I first heard REM when they released their debut album Murmur when it was released in 1983.  I had friends and workmates who raved about it but I could not work out what the fuss was about.  Over the next few years I heard bits and pieces but was generally underwhelmed.  And then I bought Document in 1987.  I really enjoyed that album and from then on bought most of their albums for a bit. I held out on buying the mega selling Automatic for the People for a while and when I did - I decided I was right to have done so (I tried to play it recently and found all but Man on the Moon were pretty dreadful.

So I decided to stop buying R.E.M

Until a friend said - you should listen to New Adventures in HiFi - he was right.  This is a great album - no longer  reaching for stardom but laying down some great songs and experimenting a bit at the same time. Highlights to me are Electrolite; E Bow the Letter and How the West Was won and where it got us.

In my opinion the band did little of merit after this not being able to move forward without becoming almost a parody of themselves.

I know this is not a popular choice by me as best R.E.M album but that's personal taste I suppose. Other R.E.M I still like are Life's Rich Pageant and Green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment