Wednesday 13 August 2014

Recent Additions : Parker Millsap - A great new country album

This album by Parker Millsap  recently popped up on Amazon as top of their recommendations list for me. The vinyl was not that expensive so I ordered it without hearing or even sampling it.

Very glad I did.   For those of you who remember Steve Forbert from about 1976 his voice is similar but his delivery is stronger.

This year there have been quite a few exceptional new albums by artists that are either new or at least new to me. Gives me confidence in the future!

Mr Millsap has perhaps invented a a new style of country music - Fire and Brimstone Country.  Truck Stop Gospel perhaps being the best example.

Jan does not always "notice"  new music when I play it but this really pricked her ears the other night when I played it.  Dissappear, Quite Contrary and Forgive Me are other strong songs on an album that really is quality all the way through.


1 comment:

  1. Purchased this on recommendation, and did not like it on first listen. But Amazon is a long way from Singapore and couldn't really good reason to return. I have now followed up listening Parker again, after sampling to other "sparse" productions (Rhiannon Giddens,for example), and he is really growing on me. This is original in the real sense of the word: he is not like Tom Waits, but he is different in the way Tom is. A strange one!This isn't for everyone, but listen a few times. You may find it rewarding.

    ReplyDelete