Friday 20 March 2015

Journey Through The Past : Elton John : Tumbleweed Connection

I am not a big Elton John fan.  However I do respect what he can do (and still does occasionally) in terms of writing quality songs.  I saw him live once in the late 70's at Athletic Park.  Good show but I have never felt compelled to see him again. Over the years I have had a few of his albums and in weak moments I have traded them in - I do not do that often and I usually regret it.  So I no longer have my original copies of either Honky Chateau nor Captain Fantastic (with all its extras).  Although I do have the latter on CD now.

His early albums seemed deeply influenced by both The Band in trying to evoke the old west and the country side of the Stones (listen to No Shoe Strings on Louise if you do not believe me).


Tumbleweed Connection is what I consider his best, most enduring and consistent album.  Sure Goodbye Yellow Brick Road has some great songs on it but a lot of it does not stand up that well 40 years later (maybe a single album would still stand as a whole).  No flashy cover - just good songs. Cant be bad when it has Burn Down The Mission, My Fathers Gun, Country Comfort, and Talking old Soldiers with good songs in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment