Saturday 21 March 2015

Junk Shop and Sale Bin Finds ; Bix Beiderbecke - The Bix Beiderbecke Legend

I first heard of Bix Beiderbecke in the Mid 1980s when the great TV series The Beiderbecke Affair aired in NZ.  The series starred James Bolam and was full of light humour and whimsical intrigue (or not).  There were a few follow up series but the first stuck in my mind.  I see you can watch the series on Youtube so I might just go back and watch it again.

Over the years I learnt a bit about Beiderbecke - a cornet player who died young and was not that well known at the time of his death and whose reputation has grown with time.  I had heard flashes of his music on the TV program but never really listened to him.

His music brings to mind the Roaring 20's and the decadence of the era.

So when I saw this album recently in a sale bin for $1 I thought , "Why not?".  There were actually 3 or 4 but I chose this one as it was in the best condition and it does play really well.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment