Thursday 19 March 2015

Journey Through The Past : Maria Muldaur

I loved Midnight at The Oasis the first time I heard it.   Pretty sure that would have been on Casey Kasem's (RIP) American Top 40 - (how come I can not type that without first hearing his voice and then hearing the jingle).

It was certainly not a song that fitted in to what my mates and I were listening to at the time (The Who, Led Zep and Bowie) so it was a guilty pleasure that I never admitted to.

It was quite a few years later that I finally picked up the self titled album the song came from and I really enjoy it.  A classic Country album produced by a band with more of rock heritage featuring.

  • Clarence White - the guitarist that kicked life into latter period Byrds.
  • Ry Cooder - post stones and at the start of his own solo career
  • Dr John - trading under his real name of Mac Rebennack
  • Jim Keltner - the drummer to the whole west coast sound
  • Jim Gordon - drummer with Derek and The Dominos - currrently still in Jail for killing his mother in a manic schizophrenic episode, 
  • Klaus Voorman on Bass and friend of the Beatles, and hidden in the backup singers
  • Bettye Lavette - whose late career resurgence has her as Obama's favourite singer
Great song choice including Dolly Parton's Tennessee Mountain Home, Kate McGarrigle's (Rufus Wainwright's mum) The Work Song, Dr John' Three Dollar Bill and Don't You Feel My Leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment