Thursday 18 June 2015

Favourites : Written in Chalk : Buddy and Julie Miller

Until Written in Chalk was released I had been a little disappointed in the joint albums by Buddy and Julie Miller.  They had both produced stellar solo albums with lots of good songs involving them performing together.

I was lucky enough see Buddy a few years ago at the Christchurch Town Hall.  He opened for Emmylou Harris and also was her band leader. I had a few of his (and Julie's) album at that stage and we was at the start of the recognition he now has as one of the best guitarists around. That night he opened with a great Does My Ring Burn Your Finger and played one of my favourite songs Tom T Halls That's How I got to Memphis.

Last month my I had a visit from my boss from the States.  Last year Jan and I went with him and his wife to a great music festival in the Rockies outside of Denver. One of the acts we saw there was Patty Griffin.  so when they saw a signed Playbill for a Patty show they bought it for us.  It was also signed by Buddy Miller and so it was a double bonus!

Since then he has produced albums for Solomon Burke, Robert Plant (with whom he toured as band leader), Carolina Chocolate Drops and Richard Thompson.  He is also now the brains behind the music in the show Nashville.

This is a great album and it's worth checking out Gasoline and Matches Ellis County, Chalk, What You Gonna Do Leroy (with Robert Plant), Memphis Jane, The Selfishness in Man.  Very pleased that the vinyl comes with a few extra tracks.



No comments:

Post a Comment