Sunday 21 June 2015

Recent Additions : Boz Scaggs - A fool to care

I have always liked Boz Scaggs - not a huge fan but someone whose career I have watched and dipped into from time to time. Brother Terry had Silk Degrees and a few others.  Sam's band even plays Lido Shuffle.

I really love his Atlantic debut from 1971 - a really sensational album that in my opinion he has not really topped.

I bought his last album Memphis after it was well reviewed and I noted that he covered a few favourite songs.  I enjoyed it but it did seem to lack a spark. Therefore I am not sure what made me buy his latest - A Fool to Care.  Once again it has been well reviewed and once again it has some great song selections.

But I am glad I did.  This one has made a connection that its predecessor did not. That is a good thing.

It kicks off with Rich Woman which many people will be familiar with from the Robert Plant Alison Krause Version and ends with a terrific cover of The Band's Whispering Pines building on, but never topping,  the original. In between there are some good selections including a nice cover of Bobby Charles' Small Town Talk.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment