Tuesday 16 June 2015

Journey Through The Past : Maggie Bell : Queen of the Night

I first became aware of  Maggie Bell when, along with The Pretty Things she was signed to Led Zeppelin's Swan Song Label. Years later I picked up Queen of the Night in a sale bin somewhere. What a great buy.

A soul classic,  And it comes from bloody Scotland!!

Her version of After Midnight is certainly my favourite version but she also gives a gutsy versions of We had it all (one of my all time favourite songs), John Prine's Souvenirs, Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham's A woman left Lonely.

However the piece de resistance has to be As the Year's go Passing By.

She has only released a few albums but what is apparently missing and never released are two albums she recorded with Jerry Wexler for Atlantic before this was released. Hard to imagine they are not terrific and I would really love to hear those.

Not sure why this is the only Maggie Bell Album I have. Perhaps I need more.

Postnote : Many people will remember her No Mean City that was the theme song to the Glaswegian TV series Taggart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment