Friday 19 June 2015

Recent Additions : Calexico : Edge of the Sun

I really like this band - have done since I first started hearing individual tracks on compilation albums.  A clever band name that is almost onomatopoeia in the way it captures their essence and sound - combining the sounds of California and Mexico.

I have always wondered how they would be best classified. Some of their songs and tracks could be easily placed in the World Section (Latin of course), others rock.  Real Groovy puts them in the Country section.

Initially Calexico was a side project for the Joey Burns and John Convertino away from their main band Giant Sand.  However over  the last 15 years those roles have reversed.


The first album  I bought of theirs was Feast of Wire - way back in 2003 (can I say way back for then?) and I still play that often.  Each album after that has a degree of change and progression while still maintaining true to their sound.

Edge of the Sun is their most immediately satisfying album in a while.  Side one starts strongly with Falling from the Sky which could become a signature Calexico song with its Mexican trumpet blasts and driving rhythm. Other songs I really enjoy include Where the Angels Played and Tapping on the Line.  Dreams about Swimming is classic Calexico while not being stale Side Two has Woodshed Waltz and Moon Never Rises

I have a sneaking suspicion that Edge of the Sun may replace Feast of Wire as my favourite Calexico Album.   

No comments:

Post a Comment