Saturday 4 July 2015

Journey Through The Past : Pentangle - Basket of Light

I could have put Basket of Light in the Bargain Bin series but I think it deserves a bit more status than that.

I had been looking for this both online and in shops at a reasonable price for a while.  Then I saw a  copy with a battered cover (history there I guess) for $4 in Real Groovy - as I slipped the record out of the cover I expected to see a big scratch at worst and perhaps just a lot of dirt and marks.  However I was pleasantly surprised when the record appeared in perfect condition.

Score!!

People my age in NZ will remember the opening track Light Flight as it was opening credits for a TV show.  Google tells me it was a BBC show called Take Three Girls but I think NZBC used it for some news show.

Pentangle was one of a raft of folk rock bands (Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne) that followed in the wake of Fairport Convention.  However Pentangle was blessed with some of Britain's best acoustic musicians in Bert Jansch, John Renbourn,and Danny Thompson.  Jansch heavily influencing Jimmy Page's more acoustic side.  In addition to Light Flight songs like Hunting Song  House Carpenter and Sally Go Round the Roses show the bands chops off.


No comments:

Post a Comment