Thursday 9 July 2015

Recent Additions - My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall

I have already written about how I rate My Morning Jacket as one of the best bands around at the moment.  Therefore it should not be surprising that I was in line to get their new album, The Waterfall when it was released a few months ago.

As has been the case with their last two album my first impressions of the album were not encouraging.  It seemed quite underwhelming.  However I have now learnt my lesson and so perservered and have now listened to it a few times - in the car and at home.

As usual - my appreciation of just how good this album is has grown with each listen.   I can understand those that decide not to put the effort in - but that is part of the problem with iPod listening.

Once again they defy simple categorisation.  One minute they are psychedelic, ethereal and slow, the next they are getting funky and coming across as the Southern Boys they are.

This is an album that does warrant playing all the way through in the order it is sequenced on record. Listening I get a real sense of something that builds with a consistent and with a clear plan.  In particular the lyrics seem to draw a connection between the environment and spirituality and along with the instrumentation and singing provide a total package. That said there are still a few standout tracks (none better than the two openers Believe (No One Knows) and Compound Fracture).   Other tracks that I enjoy include Get The Point and the closing track Only Memories Remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment