Tuesday 14 July 2015

Junk Shop and Sale Bin Finds : Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Volume 6 1966-69

I came across this collection of Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Volume 6 1966-69  in a second hand store just beside the French Market in New Orleans last year. I already had most of the tracks on it (on either CD or LP and some 3 or 4 times) and, according to Jan, too much weight to get the records I had already bought onto the plane. However, it is such a good collection, and it was in such good condition that I could not be persuaded not fork out the $7 asking price.

Luckily I managed to get all the records back to Fiji and I have really enjoyed this mix of music and many times, like this morning, I can play it all the way through. I defy anyone to do that and not want to jive just a little at some stage!



In many ways this album is a tribute to both Jerry Wexler's musical vision and to his being such a complete fucking asshole.  We have to be thankful for both as many of these tracks were recorded with just four bands.  First Stax's MG's, Bar Keys and Mar Keys, and then when Jerry and Jim Stewart argued he then recorded with Rick Hall (until he fell out with him) at Fame with what became the Swampers after Wexler enticed them away by funding their own studio.  By my count about 23 of the 28 songs were recorded with these four bands.  That gives the compilation a great consistent feel.

Look at the track listing - just magic

Wilson Pickett : Land Of 1000 Dances
Eddie Floyd : Knock On Wood
Otis Redding : Try A Little Tenderness
Wilson Pickett : Mustang Sally
Sam & Dave : When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
Arthur Conley : Sweet Soul Music
Sam & Dave : Soul Man
Aretha Franklin  : I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
Aretha Franklin  : Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
Joe Tex : Show Me
Otis* And Carla*  : Tramp 
Wilson Pickett :  Funky Broadway
Booker T. & The MG's :  Hip Hug-Her
Aretha Franklin  ; Respect
Aretha Franklin : ( You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Bar-Kays, The :  Soul Finger
Aretha Franklin : Baby I Love You
Joe Tex :  Skinny Legs And All
Aretha Franklin : Chain Of Fools
Wilson Pickett : I'm In Love
King Curtis : Memphis Soul Stew
Otis Redding :  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
Archie Bell & The Drells : Tighten Up
Clarence Carter : Slip Away
Aretha Franklin :  Think
Roberta Flack : The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
R.B. Greaves : Take A Letter, Maria
Brook Benton : Rainy Night In Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment