Wednesday 8 July 2015

Junk Shop and Sale Bin Finds : Ramblin Thomas 1928-32

When buying records in sale bins I make the choice of which ones I am going to fork out my hard earned 50c or $ for a variety of reasons.  Some I just want one song on, others are guilty pleasures that I could never never bring myself to buy at any higher price (Hot August Night would be one of those).

However some records when I them see in a sale bin I know I am going to end up buying them even though I know nothing about them.  It might be the cover, it might be a producer or a player on them. Sometimes I think it may be worth a punt and sometimes I think that it may be undervalued and I may be able to on sell it for more.  The problem with the idea of selling records is that very seldom do - those few I have over the years I have always regretted that one night every ten years I think I wish I could play that now or when I see it in a shop for $40 or $50.

Anyway I bought this album because

  • It was an old blues recording and I always like those old acoustic blues
  • The record was in almost mint condition
  • It was only $2 and was sure it was likely to be worth more (only one copy on sale on Discogs for $25)
It is a good as I hoped it would be, the lead-off track So Lonesome was perhaps an early influence on Canned Heat's Going Up Country but the only track I could find for you to sample is Poor Boy Blues which was also on the legendary Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music, 

No comments:

Post a Comment