Thursday 2 July 2015

Journey Through The Past : Tower of Power

I first heard Tower of Power when Casey Kasem played So Very Hard to Go off their self titled third album way back in 1973.   Did not know too much about them but over the next few years ago the Tower of Power horn section started cropping up everywhere - from Elton John and Cat Stevens through  to becoming integral to Little Feat's live sound when they recorded the mighty Waiting for Columbus live set.

Like Sly and the Family Stone they were an integrated funk band but to me always seemed a little less strident.

However I always loved So Very Hard to Go and eventually got a copy of it when I bought one of those 5 original albums for $20.

Because this  album has So Very Hard to Go - I quickly found this was the one I kept returning to - highlights include the opener What is Hip and the falsetto of Get Yo Feet back on the Ground and the funk injection of Soul Vaccination.

Recently I managed to pick up an LP of this album for just $5 - bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment