Friday 4 September 2015

Favourites : The Harder They Come - OST (Jimmy Cliff)

I have my son Chris to thank me for introducing me to this album.  Of course I knew the title track and  Pressure Drop by The Clash pretty well (rather than the Maytals' version here which I had only heard once or twice).

When we left NZ coming up eight years ago we left the boys Jan's car.  At that stage it was in pretty good nick, now it shows all the signs of wear you would expect from sustained student use, dents, squeaks and a temperamental CD player that only plays the CDs it wants to.  It likes this CD - a lot. On cold days this might be the only CD it will play.  So on my visits to Christchurch this is pretty much THE SOUNDTRACK. So I now know the album VERY well.


An unexpected surprise was when I heard Sitting Limbo, I commented to Chris that it sounded like a Muscle Shoals song.  It had that feel even though it was reggae.  I was pleased later when I found I was right and it was  produced by Marlon Greene.

However it is the classic early reggae that the album is best for, whether it is Rivers of Babylon, You can Get it if you Really Want, or the classics of The Harder They Come , Many Rivers to Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment