Thursday 3 September 2015

Hard to Find : Lee Hazlewood and Ann-Margret : The Cowboy and the Lady

The Cowboy and the Lady was released in 1969 between the two Nancy and Lee albums.  Truth is I never knew it existed until the day I bought it! Saw it in a second hand store round the corner from Mum's in Petone.  I checked out it was selling for on line and found it was a bargain.

I had heard Ann Margret's singing before on the Tommy soundtrack where she played Tommy's mother.  But she was always better known for her "acting" and supposed relationship with Elvis.


It is kind of a Son of Nancy and Lee album, not too different but different enough.  Ann's singing has that "almost a singer" sound that some people can pull off (but most can't).  However Hazlewood's arrangements are sympathetic to that approach and I really enjoy this and to have (yet) another version of  Dark End of the Street is never a bad thing.  Hardly a definitive version but not bad either.

An interesting mix of songs with versions of The Walker Brothers'  No Regrets, Waylon's
Only Mama That Will Walk The Line.   Greyhound Bus Depot and  Sweet Thing are also highlights.

Glad I bought it and who knows - one day I may even make a profit on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment