Sunday 6 September 2015

Recent Additions : Courtney Barnett : Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit

Any phone call with Sam or Chris is likely to cover what music they are listening to or have bought recently.  When both of them mentioned Courtney Barnett I decided I should check her.

At that stage apart from the fact that both the boys were listening to her I knew little about her apart from the fact she was Australian.

So probably a month or so later I saw a copy of Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit on sale I decided it was time to check it out.

On first listen she presents a little bit of 80's Flying Nun, Velvet Underground, Pavement and pre-grunge coming together with a current perspective. Simple production of a mix of stream of consciousness and/or deeply personal lyrics.

So familiar and different at the same time.  I am sure this will change but my current favourites are Elevator Operator, Kim's Caravan, Pedestrian at Best and An Illustration of Loneliness.    I am sure in a few weeks there will be more

Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment