Saturday 12 September 2015

Song of the Day 55 : We Had it All : Waylon Jennings; Dobie Gray, The Rolling Stones; Maggie Bell; Everyone really!!!!

We Had it All is one of the great Country Soul Classics and certainly one of my all time favourite songs. I have now many many versions of this song and seeing it on an album (by a half reasonable singer) is frequently enough to persuade me to pick the album.  The version I heard first was Waylon Jennings' from his Honky Tonk Heroes album.  On an album packed with great Billy Joe Shaver songs it stands out.  Other versions I enjoy include Dobie Gray's and Maggie Bell's.  I also quite like this version by Ray Charles.  It is also supposedly one of Keith Richard's favourite songs and The Stones have their own version and Keith regularly sings it with others.

The song was written by Troy Seals and Donnie Fritts - Fritts is a native of Florence Alabama in the Muscle Shoals area who still plays with Rick Hall occasionally so it does have that groove to it.   I am currently on a mission to track down a copy of Donnie's Prone to Lean album where he gives his own interpretation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment