Thursday 10 September 2015

Favourites : Jorma Kaukonen, Blue Country Heart

I can not remember why I bought Blue Country Heart.   I know where I bought it - in a small CD store on Main Street Pasadena.   Maybe there was a write up and in  store recommendation, maybe it was playing, maybe it was just cheap.  I certainly knew who Jorma was,  the guitarist with Jefferson Airplane and later Hot Tuna.

The liner notes say a lot about the inspiration for the CD. Jorma surrounded himself with his favourite acoustic musicians and songs that had inspired his first interest in music.

This is a delight from beginning to end.  Impeccably recorded with crystal clear sound.  I would love to have it on vinyl but I am not aware it has been released.  When auditioning new HiFi equipment this is one of the albums I use to check out how the system or component will handle acoustic music.

Here is a short promotional film outlining how it came to pass with a few samples.  I have many of these songs in many various versions but this collection I keep coming back to Just Because, Bread Line Blues, Waiting for a Train and Big River Blues. 


No comments:

Post a Comment