Tuesday 20 January 2015

Favourites : Golden Smog : Down by the Old Mainstream

I bought Down by the Old Mainstream based on a review in Uncut.  It mentioned that this was the first full length album by the Alt Country Supergroup with members from Big Star, Wilco, The Jayhawks and Soul Asylum.  I then found a cheap copy at a record store in Manners Street (the one opposite where Chelsea Records ended its days for those of you from Wellington).

I was immediately impressed with the quality and consistency of the songs - having a little more edge than the then current Jayhawks and a little more straight up rock'n'roll than Wilco at the time.  Not a bad thing and for a while I preferred this album to new music at the time from both bands.


Pecan Pie, He's a Dick, V, Ill fated, Radio King and their great cover of The Faces' Glad and Sorry.

I went on to buy their subsequent albums, and their debut ep and while Jan really loved the follow up Weird Tales this remains my favourite

No comments:

Post a Comment