Saturday 24 January 2015

Junk and Sale Bin Shop Finds 4 : Hot August Night

When I was in the third form - everyone's parents seemed to have this.  In fact at the time it was claimed that there was a copy of Hot August Night in every NZ home.  Not true - but Terry had a copy so that is saying something!!!

It is easy to dislike Neil Diamond on principle. However he has written a lot of great simple rock/pop songs that deserve the revered status they get.  After slipping into a MOR rut from the mid seventies to now it looked like he would be stuck into just redoing progressively cooler and cooler August night shows.

However he seems to be having a late period of creative resurgence as his last few albums have received generally good reviews from a once dismissive music press.

I have not quite been brave enough to dip my toes back in (maybe I need to wait until I see them for $2 like this one)- but I am not unhappy to have this in my collection now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment