Thursday 22 January 2015

Junk and Sale Bin Shop Finds 2 : Benny Goodman : Classics in Jazz

I bought this rather cool piece of 10" vinyl at the Salvation Army Shop in Petone.  I was not going to buy it until the attendant said all records half price.  $2 became $1 and I thought yep I have that one.

I was only familiar with St Louis Blues in terms of the tracks  on the record (and that is a great track that I probably have half a dozen versions of).  I have no other Benny Goodman (and first really heard of him when Bowie announced that "A Benny Goodman Fan painted holes in his hands so Shakey hung him up to dry" on Watch that Man back in 1973

I also have not got many 10" eps, Mum and Dad had a few (Mantovani and Mario Lanza I recall).    This was released in 1954 so it is now 60 years old and in pretty good nick.  Sounds great and his clarinet has got great tone.  I am glad I splashed out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment