Tuesday 18 March 2014

Let's Get it On : The Journey Begins!

Welcome to Some New Town - a journey through a combination of my life, my lifetime's fascination with music and of course my record collection.   I initially started doing this by posting about albums I enjoyed on Facebook and my brother in law and friend (thanks Tony Laidler) suggested I blog instead of just doing the facebook thing.  So here it is.  I hope that you find it interesting.

To put things straight from the start I am no musician, I would not make a musician's arsehole - that is how much of a musician I am (not).   I am not a critic either and I do not intend what I write to be considered criticism.  It is written as a fan's viewpoint.

My motivation for writing this is simply that over the years I have done thousands of hours of research.  Time listening, in record stores, talking to friends, going to shows, reading books and magazines.  This has allowed me to discover both new and old music that many people do not get to hear for a combination of reasons. I came to the conclusion long ago that like other things in life the best in music does not always (and indeed hardly ever) rise to the top.  The reasons for this are a combination of bad and good luck, bad management, bad  name choices (great bands with names like 10,000 Maniacs, Slobberbone and Drive By Truckers - have given themselves an automatic handicap before starting) and indeed corruption and greed.  In writing this I will unashamedly try and redress the balance for some bands.

Every album I will write about I own in one or more physical formats.  I now own more than 3,500 records, cds and music DVDs and more than 200 books, so there is plenty of choice. Displaying photo.JPG I am also only going to write about music I enjoy and rate and think needs or deserves to be heard by more people.

I can not fully explain why I like some albums. However I hope I will inspire a few people to go and check out some of the titles.   I used to be (slightly) embarrassed by some of the music I have and enjoy (people are frequently surprised - "I never thought you would have that!!"  The fact is, as a non musician, my response to music is first and foremost an emotional one and not always easily explained.

I will not write about albums, bands or music I do not like.  So even though over the years I have been quite vicious in my assessment of  the likes of Pink Floyd, Brian Adams, The Eagles and others I no longer have the energy for that,  realising instead it is much more important to concentrate on what I like rather than what I don't. That will therefore be the last time you have to hear those names.

My collection includes the initial start I made in music listening to Glam Rock as a third former in 1973, some 70's heavy metal, the punk rock era, new wave and post punk (whatever that is) and then from the 90's the exploration of Americana, Country and Jazz.  When I started Britannia ruled the airwaves but now what I listen to comes mainly from the US and outside of the UK.  It's been an interesting journey.

Why Some New Town??
Not surprisingly I have taken the title of the blog from a song title from one of my favourite albums of all time. I have chosen it as it seems to also be a good reflection of what motivates both my musical adventures and my life. It seems to invoke the sense of quest in some and confusion by others as I search for something new whether in music or in life experience that either has me picking up that new album from a sale bin simply because I like the bass player, producer or cover or a taking a new job in a Some New Town.

So Some New Town is the second last track on an album by Slobberbone Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today. In my opinion as close to a perfect country rock/americana album as you would ever likely get.  I got directed to the album after hearing Give Me Back My Dog on a free CD attached to a copy of Uncut Magazine.  That song is simply one of the best and cleverest dumb songs ever written.  It's is not just me as over the years this has become a favourite album with all the family and a go to album when we are driving.  A great mix of punk attitude, good songs, mandolins and musicianship and the sound of a road tested band.  Plus what an album cover!!



I will be building the blog with the following areas or themes;
A Journey Through the Past : In which I will continue the journey I have already started on Facebook to go through  some of the highlights of music collection more or less in a chronological order.  I will initially start where I have left off in Facebook - somewhere in 1970 - but I will also go back to the 1920's and pick up those Facebook posts.

Playing now : Where I will talk about some music that I am listening to at the moment.  It may be something new, something that I have rediscovered in the collection or one of those albums I go back to on a regular basis.

Recent Additions : These may be newly released music (hey I am still hip!) or new purchases.  While many people think that the best in rock and other music is behind us. I hope I can prove you wrong by introducing you to some great new music.

Unsung Heroes : where I will be unashamedly a fan - encouraging you all to listen to artists that I think to deserve to be BIGGER THAN ELVIS as the saying goes. I will cover artists such as Greg Trooper, Dan Penn, Eddie Hinton, Dirk Hamilton, Jon Dee Graham, Microdisney, Tindersticks, Phil Cody, Billy Joe Shaver, Josh Ritter, Josh Rouse and .... well its a long list.   One interesting side of the internet is that many of these unsung heroes are more contactable than they have ever been.

Connections : When I will explore connections in my collection and how those connections have lead me to explore and discover new music.  These could be things such as record producers, studios, writers, musicians, compilations.

So there it is the start of what I hope you will all enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Great first blog Mike. I think you should add a link to the tracks so here is Some New Town https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2847iF-FQM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, great start. I won't get erudite unless Google denies my existence like my first post. But like the first, listening to Jason Isbell, one of your previous suggestions, and like Jason, I don't want to die in a Super 8 motel, which is a bit what it's like on a Saturday night in Mumbai at the Holiday Inn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel - I remember a few nights in Mumbai with a bottle of Jack, dodgy portable computer systems and music to wake up the hotel rooms. Definitely know that Super 8 feeling - will be writing about both Southeastern AND Jason Isbell at some stage

      Delete