Friday 21 March 2014

Journey Through the Past 1: Led Zep III

Continuing where I left off in my facebook posts in 1970 (I will go back at some stage for those who have come to Some New Town more recently).

I was a late comer to Led Zeppelin.  Of course when I was at school no party was complete without some half drunk hoon playing the generally undanceable Whole Lotta Love at high volume and causing the party to break down. Led Zep IV was everywhere, cooler people said they preferred Houses of the Holy.

In 1976 NZ was briefly famous for being the first place in the world to have a commercial release of Physical Graffiti.   I remember the then mighty 2ZM having an all night session playing it from beginning to end and the not so trusty JVC cassette radio that we had turning metres of cassette tape into something resembling a steelo soap pad.

On one of my regular trips into Wellington to scour record shops I managed to pick up a second hand copy of Led Zep III at some bargain basement price. I could suddenly see what the fuss was about.  I connected with the wistful english folk of Bron Yr Aur Stomp - Live and the blues of  Since I have been loving you and all points in between.  

This album I really showcases the dexterity of the band on music that they did not like. I understand that when it was released it was not well received by fans as it was not wall to wall muscle like they expected.  However on reflection and considering where Robert Plant's solo career has taken him I think it shows that perhaps he influenced it more than Jimmy Page.  

It was great to hear Plant's treatment of some of these songs last year in Wellington and confirmed to me that the world is better off with him continue to explore and experiment rather than "Get the Band Back Together".  

No comments:

Post a Comment