Saturday 29 March 2014

Connections 4 : David Bowie : Pin Ups

Most people who know me know that one of my first music passions was for that of David Bowie.  Some thought it was strange, gay or just plain misguided but I have to admit to a certain vindication in that he is now regarded as an elder statesmen and has a back catalogue to go with that.  My first Bowie album was Alladin Sane but definitely the most influential one was Pin Ups.  An album of covers released in December 1973 after he had broken up and retired Ziggy.

A gift from my Aunt and Uncle when I was on holiday with them for Christmas 40 years ago (my first plane trip - a fokker friendship - I can almost remember the excitement - time has changed eh?).

But back to the music - the songs were apparently Bowie's favourites from the English (and one Australian) bands that were gigging around London in the mid 60's.  At the time the songs were all new to me.  However with what I know now the selections appear much more of a fan's viewpoint than that of the musical maven Bowie clearly is now. They included songs by The Who, The Pretty Things, Them, The Easybeats, The Yardbirds, The Kinks and perhaps tellingly (Syd's) Pink Floyd.

The album became the first real example of me chasing connections.  I started to pick up and enjoy albums by almost all of the artists. From completist's fascination and appreciation of The Who and The Pretty Things. I purchased and enjoyed greatest hits collection from Them, The Kinks, The Easybeats and The Yardbirds occasionally venturing into other albums as well.  Ironically I did not do the same for what was my favourite track on the album See Emily Play by Pink Floyd - not that I did not try - repeatedly to get the Floyd (as recently as three years ago).    

Definitely not anywhere near Bowie's best album but for me a very important one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment