Sunday 30 March 2014

Recent Additions 6 : Heritage Blues Orchestra : And Still I Rise

This is actually a repurchase after I gave my last copy away.  I suspect this will happen again.  It features father and daughter Bill and Chaney Sims and I came across it through an Amazon recommendation after buying some Carolina Chocolate Drops albums (Similar but rootsier).   This album is part blues, part bluegrass and............ well maybe they say it best in the small poster that comes with it;
Son House
New Orleans
Blues
Debussy
Africa
Field Hollers
Duke Ellington
Mississippi Delta
Spirituals
Nina Simone
Kansas City
Work Songs
Count Basie
Hill Country
Jazz
Ravel
Highway 61
Gospel 

Pretty audacious but they pull it off - bringing consistency to what could have sounded like a mix tape. A selection includes Hard Times,  Don't ever let nobody drag your spirit down, and Get Right Church - but there are no bad tracks on this. 

Sadly it is not available on vinyl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment