Sunday 23 March 2014

Unsung Heroes 1 : Chuck Prophet

I first came across Chuck Prophet in a magazine review of the album This Hurting Business which intrigued me.  I think it mentioned  something like a mix of Americana, hip hop and European 60's music style.  What is not to be intrigued right???  That Chuck Prophet was the guitarist in Green on Red - an 80s "Paisley Underground" band out of California was an added bonus.  Then I heard Dyin' All Young on a compilation CD and I was sold.


When I finally picked up the CD.  Guess what .......  The review was 100% accurate a mix of modern country, hip-hop and some with a 60's European feel - check out I Couldn't Be Happier.    And indeed I could not have been happier.  Certainly now in my list of favourite albums.

As usual when I like something I start to search out earlier music and the best of his earlier solo stuff, for me was this one.

Homemade Blood
The album after This Hurting Business, No Other Love was a solid album but, despite the almost hit, Summertime Thing,  to me lacked something.  However since then despite what I would imagine are not great album sales he has produced great album after great album.  My favourite of those would be Soap and Water.  I have been lucky enough to come across many of his albums on limited release vinyl as well.  

Soap and Water
In a drunken night one time he also recorded a complete copy of Waylon Jennings' classic Dreaming my Dreams album - called it Dreaming Waylon's Dreams .  Well worth checking out both the original and Chuck's remake.

I also checked out some Green on Red and came to enjoy that as well especially this compilation of their first two albums.  I also saw the other day that one of the ones I picked up in a bargain basement is a collectors item now worth US$200.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice to be reminded of him; haven't heard him in years

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have not heard Soap and Water and/or This Hurting Business - suggest you have a listen - cheers

    ReplyDelete