Sunday 16 November 2014

Favourites : The Black Crowes : Before The Frost/After The Freeze

How much I enjoy The Black Crowes kind of crept up on me.  I did not buy their first album for many years and enjoyed it when I finally did.  I picked up their live album with Jimmy Page at a ridiculously low price and then I bought Before The Frost.


I had read some interesting reviews and bought the CD from HMV in Singapore on a new release special.  Was very pleased when I opened it - great packaging for a CD, the CD made to look like a record and a download card for another acoustic accompanying album After the Freeze. 

Until hearing this album I would not have classified myself as a Black Crowes' Fan and therefore not really qualified to say this but I am sure it is their best album.  It was recorded live in Levon Helm's Barn/Recording Studio allowing it to keep a loose and soulful feeling throughout. This album is fucking magnificent.  A great mix of 70's Southern Rock, Blues and a hint of country.  You have to ask "Where were they keeping this one?" 

Check out Letterman's response to the band playing Good Morning Captain. It kind of sums up my reaction to this whole album.   The quality does not really let up,  A Train Still Makes A lonely sound, Appaloosa and Houston Don't Dream About Me.

Must go back and listen to some more Black Crowes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment