Sunday 16 November 2014

The Upside of Down : Trying to understand why depressing music is sometimes just the right tonic

This week I was invited to contribute to Blog on the Tracks a daily blog on Fairfax Media's website Stuff.  Here is my contribution


I have often wondered why I am drawn to sad, and some would even say depressing songs and music.  I know I am not the only one as there are so many such songs to choose from.  In fact if I am in a real funk I will reach for something with a title like Looking Up (for the next thing that brings me down) rather than Walking on Sunshine. The latter while a great song would never cheer me up – I would only ever play it at a party.  


Many people are drawn to Country, Soul and the Blues and if the music is so depressing why does listening to them not lead to rafts of suicide?

There is of course the myth around Gloomy Sunday, the Hungarian Suicide Song – that if you listened to the song you would commit suicide.  This even spawned a movie of the same name that became Christchurch’s longest running movie.  I have never been quite sure what that tells us about the people of Christchurch.

In this blog I am going to try and explore the phenomena I experience, how alone I am in it and then share some of my favourite downer songs in the hope of cheering you all up.

To get started I headed down to the local Google library and let my fingers do the walking to some more research. Then Simon also posted a link on Facebook so I was able to follow a new trail and get some more insights. 

All of this provided some interesting reading of which to be honest I did not understand too much. So in the spirit of 21st Century Journalism I looked for soundbites that would explain everything.  Latest Neuroscience research apparently all points to great advances in understanding.  A bunch of Danes came up with Music in Minor Activates Limbic Structures : A relationship with dissonance? another Japanese study concluded that Sad Music Induces Pleasant Emotions basically postulating that because we expect to hear sad things that makes us happy. 

Study from the University of Limerick that asked pretty much the same question concluded among other things that sad music provided a connection to what the listener was feeling and so provided companionship at a time when it was needed.   Perhaps the folks from Limerick could just have well have written -

There was an old man feeling down
The last thing he felt like was going to town
So be put on some blues and his dancing shoes 
and changed from a goose to a clown
(avoiding the obvious “and changed to a smile from a frown”)

However I think I finally latched onto what my reaction was all about in the following two studies.  First a study based on an online survey that identified amongst other things that “a high number of participants reported listening to sad music in situations of emotional distress or when they’re feeling lonely, so it could be a form of self-medication. And for most of the people, the engagement with sad music in everyday life is correlated with its potential to regulate negative moods and emotions, as well as to provide consolation,” 

This study referenced another piece of research by David Huron from University of Ohio in which he identified a link in some people to sad music and the release of prolactin a hormone associated with enhancing pleasurable responses. Interestingly he also found that I am not alone in my enjoyment of sad music in fact more than 2/3 of those in the study identified with the statement that “I enjoy listening to sad music”.  The percentage is interesting and so maybe there is a link between us Sad Music Junkies and National winning the last election. Ten Percent of those in the study agreed with the statement that “Sad Music was the music I most enjoy” and approximately 1/3 of the study concluding that they really did not enjoy Sad Music”. 

So there it is folks ….  My listening to music in general and sad music in particular is me satisfying my junkie like need for prolactin injected by means of depressing music.

And now the junkie is going to become a pusher – maybe so as I am not alone, maybe so we can share needles and you can pass on your tips for some music you think may cheer me up even more.

So here goes it goes Sludgie’s guide to the best music to cheer you up.  It was hard to pick just a few from the 1000’s of songs I have and I am sure you can think of plenty others. 

·         I feel I have to start with this album.  Jeff Klein's Everyone Loves A Winner.  I do not think I have anything grimmer and more likely to lift my spirits than side one of this album from Everything is Alright (and it’s clearly not), California through to Another Breakdown.  The other day it was playing in my office (in my continuing battle with tinitis) and a colleague came in and commented that’s really depressing and walked out – I guess he is not one of the 66%.    I suspect that when I hear all that angst played in sequence I get the feeling "poor bastard" aren't I lucky ..........................and I feel good. 
·         It does seem that while many of us might feel better after listening to sad music it may not be the same for those writing it.  Joy Division’s Love will Tear us Apart is a case in point and we lost Ian Curtis not long after.  About the time it was released a friend and I both agreed over a beer that we would love to hear Marvin Gaye sing this and not long after Marvin was gone too. While it makes me sad to think about Ian and Marvin – listening to this makes me feel good.
·         Ryan Adams first solo album is a great collection of songs that reflected his mood after the breakup of what must have been a pretty intense relationship.  He wears his heart in his sleeve on Come Pick Me Up and demonstrates the thin line between love and hate in those times.  When I listen to this I think glad that’s not me and ……. I feel good.
·         Terry Hall from The Specials, Fun Boy Three and The Colourfield seems a pretty glum fellow.  Take is excellent example of he can deconstruct a relationship breakdown and help me …….. feel good.
·         Paul Westerburg is one of the most under-rated songwriters around – while he has written some great dumb rock songs – he has also a fine collection of songs that are designed to make you feel better by sharing his bad luck or current problems.  A favourite of mine is Here Comes A Regular.  While I wouldn’t mind a drink in that bar I feel good that I am not that regular.
·         Keep Me in Your Heart : Warren Zevon’s last recorded song – for such an irascible bastard he sure faced death with dignity and basically wrote his own obituary ……………  to think of how we could face death with humour and dignity makes me feel good.
·         Not surprisingly I am a big fan of what some call Gothic Country.  Its exponents include The Handsome Family, Sixteen Horsepower, Johnny Dowd and my favourite Jim White.  His The Wound That Never Heals could be the screenplay to one dark movie and listening to it certainly tells me that life can be worse than bad and reminds me that mine is not…………… so I feel good
·         One of the saddest songs I know is Tom Waits’ On the Nickel where Tom pays respects to those hobos and homeless on 5th St in Los Angeles.  He seems to ponder how they got there and he did not. He does it with dignity and respect and that makes me feel good that that can be done.
·         The problem I had here was limiting the selection.  There are many, many more whether they be by Leonard Cohen, more Tom Waits,  – but maybe save those for a rainy day when I need cheering up.

But finally there has to be an exception to prove the rule

·         Strange Fruit   Billy Holiday’s graphic description of lynching in the South.  While I play Billie and this song regularly it does not lift my spirits, it makes me feel …………. ANGRY




No comments:

Post a Comment