Wednesday 12 November 2014

Song of the Day 32 : The Moon's A Harsh Mistress : Jimmy Webb, Joe Cocker and Glen Campbell

The first version of this magnificent song was by Joe Cocker on his 1974 album I Can Stand A Little Rain. Terry bought me the album for my 14th birthday - I think with the parallel hopes of both educating me and weening me off David Bowie.  Interesting that both artists have proven to have resilient careers although without a doubt Bowie has been the most influential and important in both my music collection and also music in general.

I still rate I Can Stand A Little Rain as one of Joe's finest.  Certainly packed with songs written by Randy Newman, Harry Nilsson, Allen Toussaint and Jimmy Webb.  I did not know that Jimmy wrote The Moon's A Harsh Mistress (along with It's a Sin (to love somebody) which Joe also covers on the album) for Glen Campbell for their Reunion album until years later.  Of course Campbell had had a run of hits with Jimmy Webb songs like (By the time I get to) Phoenix and Galveston in the 60's.

Now I can't make up my mind whose is the best version.  You Choose.....................Glen Campbell's version or Joe's.  Jimmy's ain't too bad either.


No comments:

Post a Comment