Saturday 14 June 2014

Favourites : Anders Osborne

I bought my first Anders Osborne CD, Black Eyed Galaxy, about 3 years ago and he has quickly become a new favourite.  I bought is because it came up as a recommended purchase on Amazon, where his music gets generally positive reviews with enough disagreement to make it sound interesting.  Reading about him on the web I noted he had also been in the excellent TV series Treme so that enough to hit the add to your cart button.

If you are looking for hints as to what he sounds like, think Neil Young with a New Orleans Blues or a more bluesy Little Feat .  Black Eyed Galaxy's main theme seems to be about his struggles with heroin and staying clean.  This version of Mind of Junkie really summarises the whole album to me.  Impassioned intelligent music played well.  The title song and Black Tar continue that theme but towards the end of the album he delivers four more positive songs in Tracking My Roots, Louisiana Gold, Dancing in the Wind and Higher Ground. This is an impressive album which blends old songs and styles while offering a fresh taste.


Since then I have picked up a few more CDs the best of which is Living Room. However as his music has been playing in the car for the last two days I think I am about to add to my collection.

Last week when talking to Sam on the phone and I asked what he was listening to he said Anders Osborne. When I said I could not remember him ripping the CD when he was last hear he said he did not.  He heard something he liked in a music store and it turned out to be Mr Osborne.  He bought it and then remembered that last Christmas when he was postman for my Amazon deliveries one of them was Peace, the latest CD.




No comments:

Post a Comment