Saturday 7 June 2014

Listening to this at the moment : Nancy and Lee

I knew some of the songs of course but Chris was a fan of Some Velvet Morning with its double meaning depending on your own inclination.  "Some Velvet Morning when I'm straight, I'm gonna open up your gate, and maybe tell you about Phaedra and how she gave me life"   It's either a crude and simple metaphor for sex in the morning or its talking of a wider metaphysical awakening.  However with the electricity between Nancy and Lee (and Lee's voice) there can be little doubt that its about SEX, or is it.

A few weeks ago Jan and I were checking into a hotel behind some people and when they gave their names she said Phaedra - I wanted to ask her if she was named for the song! But I never did.

When we were across in NZ for the Springsteen Concert I picked up both an excellent vinyl version of this album but also a Nancy Sinatra greatest hits which played non stop in the car for the time in Auckland.

It is a great album - Covers of Jackson (made famous by Johnny and June), My Elusive Dream, a steamy and almost desperate version of You've Lost that Loving Feeling and originals Ladybird, Summer Wine and I've Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me.

1 comment:

  1. Love that Nancy SInatra album, played it to death in the car in years gone by. Sadly still in Australia must dig it out when we return for hols, especially now that we have a car... Listening to music in cars is something I have missed a lot since we have been out of Australia.... Great way to become acquainted with whole albums while your mind is free of distractions....

    ReplyDelete