Monday 9 June 2014

Favourites : Little Band o Gold : The Promised Land - A Swamp Pop Journey

I bought this CD around lunchtime on a Friday in February 2011 in Christchurch and saw the band play later that night.  The venue, a recently renovated warehouse has probably now been demolished.  It was between quakes.  That night they played Los Lobos' Shakin' Shakin' Shakes to recognise Christchurch's resilience.  They also played a bunch of Bobby Charles covers as well as most of the album.  Jan, Sam and I had a great night and Jan then took the CD put it in the car CD player and it never left it for the rest of the holiday.

The band is kind of a Louisiana  cross generational supergroup built around Warren Storm, Steve Riley, C.C Adcock; and David Egan.



I had not heard of Warren Storm until I started to read the band's publicity at the time.  A bit of a legend and at that time he would have been about 72!  In fact it looked to me that he actually had the drum sticks taped to his hands to help him control them.  Interestingly not long after getting back to Singapore I was in the House of Turntables and the owner had a copy of a Warren Storm Acetate on one of his turntables and was stunned when I mentioned that I had recently seen him singing and playing only weeks before.  I offered to buy it but he was not interested.   

This is a very good album and a great introduction to Swamp Rock or Louisiana rock. Checkout Spoonbread and I Don't Wanna Know.


No comments:

Post a Comment