Monday 30 June 2014

Unsung Heroes 12 : Richard Thompson

I first consciously heard Richard Thompson's guitar work on a Fairport Convention double lp compilation. I may have heard him earlier as he was also a go to session guitarist for a small clique of British Artists in the 70s.  Then again on the outstanding 1982 breakup album (that wasn't) Shoot Out The Lights.

Since then he has easily been my favourite British guitarist.  Folk rather than blues or rock based and he has a distinctive style and tone because of that.  It has been said (and by me) that Mark Knopfler owes him a big debt.

I have already written about his excellent lastest album here.

His lyrics are always thoughtful, frequently maudlin or caustic and frequently funny.  He has told some great stories over the years.   I also think he is also one of the few 60's artists (Dylan, Young)  that is still capable of producing essential music as his his latest Electric which I have written about earlier.

After leaving Fairport Convention he released what was one of the worst selling albums of all time Henry the Human Fly which I have never owned but regret not picking up that second hand vinyl when I had the chance in Boulder one day.  After that he then recorded a great series of albums with his then wife, Linda. Bookended with the above album and the also great I want to see the Bright Lights tonight they never sold that well but all had some songs worth checking out.

Over the years he has produced so many good albums that recommending where to start is always difficult. However my picks in addition to Shoot Out The Lights would be; Rumor and Sigh,  I Want to See the Bright Lights tonightPour Down like Silver and Across a crowded room.

Over the years he has written and recorded songs that have been recorded by many others and songs that, in my opinion deserve a wider audience.  Songs like;
Don't Renege on Our Love
Walking on a Wire
Dimming of the Day Probably his most covered song with Bonnie Raitt, David Gilmour and Alison Krause all giving it a go
Keep Your Distance - covered by Buddy and Judy Miller
A heart needs a home
When the spell is broken
Can't Win
1952 Vincent Black Lightning 
Beat the Retreat - which itself became the title of a tribute album in 1994.
Bees wing
Just the Motion







2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike
    My nephew is Tony Urquhart and he was at my house Sun night with his grown up daughter Marina who was down from Boulder for a visit/look at Uni options. He put me on to your blog. And I have just shard your enthusiasm for Richard Thompson who is coming to WOMAD in 2015.
    So I look forward to keeping track of your findings. Saw The Stones Sat night past and the WLG Ukelele Orch on Fri night. Saw Tiny Ruins and Bannerman in Berlin recentlyas wellas Erlend Oye. Are you familiar with www.elsewhere.co.nz...my mate Graham Reid at work gotta run Regards Murray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Murray. Yes I follow Elsewhere and frequently make comment. I have my WOMAD tickets booked - I will be a first timer there but attracted by Richard Thompson, Lake St Dive, Toumani and Sidiki, and maybe even Sinead. Actually I will be in Auckland this weekend and hoping to get a ticket to Nick Cave from Trademe.

      Delete